The agreement creates a new interim seven-member board of directors for the Bald Knob Cross of Peace Foundation to oversee the operations and restoration of the nearly half-century-old monument sitting atop Southern Illinois' second highest peak.
As part of the agreement, the old board of directors submitted their resignations and dropped all legal disputes. The new seven member board will consist of the following persons.
- Mark Roath, pastor of Anna Heights Baptist Church in Anna
- Ralph Brandon, senior pastor of Covenant Christian Fellowship in Carterville
- Gerald Wright, senior pastor of Spirit of Life Church in DuQuoin
- Steven McKeown, senior pastor at the Christian Life Center in Herrin
- Doug Cherry, senior pastor at Victory Christian Center of Southern Illinois in Carbondale
- Jon Musgrave, IllinoisHistory.com and a member of Second Baptist Church in Marion
- Bradley Rogers, president of Christian Motorcycle Association
The settlement proved to be a Christmas gift for the region. The Associated Press picked up local coverage of the settlement and the article ran throughout the state and in some neighboring states.
Here's a sampling of the stories: